Looking to challenge yourself with a career switch and think you fit the bill? Join us at the Singapore Canoe Federation!
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume, available start date and expected salary.
Technical Director - Canoe Sprint
- Canoe Joint Management Committee (JMC) - Comprising of representatives from the Singapore Sport Institute (SSI), Singapore Canoe Federation (SCF), National Youth Sports Institute (NYSI) and other relevant stakeholders for the sport of Canoeing.
Reporting to the Canoe JMC, the Technical Director is responsible for providing the strategic leadership, technical direction and expert opinions for the National Canoe Sprint Programme in four main areas:
- High Performance Planning & Systems Development
- Athlete Pathway & Outreach of Sport Development
- Quality Daily Training Environment
- Coach Education & Capability Development
1. High Performance Planning & Systems Development
- Develop and drive a High Performance Plan (within six months of commencement of employment) to deliver an overall objective of continued podium success based on the agreed upon key performance indicators and the “National High Performance Sports’ Visions & Ambitions” at the Major Games and international/continental competitions.
- Periodic review of the established High Performance Plan for continuous improvement, adapting to environmental/situational changes within the local and international canoeing scene.
- Contribute to, and/or prepare the selection policies for the nomination of athletes for Major Games, Major Championships and competitions including tiering of overseas competitions for national junior athletes’ representation for exposure.
- Lead and co-ordinate the selection process of athletes to represent Singapore at Major Games, Major Championships and competitions, in consultation with the National Coaches and Canoe JMC.
- Conduct and provide a report on post-games and/or post-competition performance review for future competition preparation.
- Organise and lead regular communications across the National Coaches and high performance support staff including those in SSI and NYSI.
- Foster and manage close working relationships with National Coaches (defining their roles and responsibilities), stakeholders and leads of other disciplines to ensure a cohesive and dynamic performance-based team culture.
2. Athlete Pathway & Outreach of Sport Development
- Provide strategic direction to the development of Canoe Sprint in Singapore by synergizing existing the feeder systems with new outreach of sport and pathway development initiatives.
- Develop and implement plans/programmes for youth development and talent/potential identification based on proven talent identification (and specialisation) methodology at every age group that suits the local system, in consultation with NYSI.
- Establish and implement a robust talent pathway development structure/plan that would ensure a sustainable pipeline for the National Squad.
- Undertake regular visits to identified performance hubs across Singapore for talent identification.
- Planning and advise on local/national competitions for talent/potential identification for the National Squad.
- Establish close rapport with stakeholders such as local coaches, canoeing teachers-in-charge etc for customised school and outreach of sport programmes.
3. Quality Daily Training Environment
- Work closely with the National Coaches and high-performance support staff to create a quality elite athlete daily training environment, incorporating performance support services, sport science & sport medicine, equipment and access to world class facilities (including overseas training camps).
- Contribute to the review and performance planning of the Multi-Year Periodized Training Plan and Yearly Planning Instrument of the National Squad, ensuring quality integration of performance servicing such as sports science and sports medicine support.
4. Coach Education & Capability Development
- Develop a holistic and comprehensive Coaching Pathway Plan which enables the growth of all attributes of a high-performance coach and coaching expertise for the promotion of Canoe Sprint, and the development of medal-winning elite athletes (all levels).
- Plan and develop technical manuals for SCF Technical courses and coach education resources, integrating SportSG’s CoachSG coaching curriculum guidelines and recommendations for best practices.
- Plan, mentor, conduct technical courses, and make provisions for coaching attachments/apprenticeship for identified local coaches as part of succession planning.
- Advocate applied coaching methods using performance data and sports science.
- Formulate and establish guidelines for the selection of National Coaches.
5. Budget Planning & Management
- Work closely with SCF for annual Multi Year Sports Plan submission.
- Plan and manage the National Squad’s budgets based on the agreed upon targets in consultation with the High-Performance Manager, National Squad Coaches and SSI.
- Plan and manage the athlete annual pathway and coach development budgets.
- To attend SCF Council Meetings, JMC Meetings, Functional Sports Programme Meetings and all high performance related meetings.
- To submit quarterly reports to the JMC on progress made in the specified areas of responsibility.
- To submit budget proposals to the JMC for approvals.
- To submit all other reports and statistics as and when required.
- To attend working committee meetings with the High Performance Manager every month or when required, to review past developments and forward planning.
- To undertake additional tasks and responsibilities as required by the SCF and/or the JMC.
In addition to demonstrating relevant experiences across the functional areas identified in this Job Description, candidates applying for the role will require a range of personal and professional skills, including:
- A recognised technical Coaching Certification (minimum Level 3).
- A recognised university degree in a related field of study would be an advantage.
- At least 5-10 years of extensive experience of coaching Canoe Sprint at World and Olympic level including leading of a team coaches, support services and athletes in a high-performance environment.
- Strong international networks with top training centres that would allow coaches and athletes to benefit from.
- Strong understanding of the International Canoe Federation’s (ICF) Technical Rules and Regulations and Anti-Doping rules.
- Leadership and management experience with extensive exposure to high performance related matters and solutions.
- Ability to accurately analyse and translate performance data into meaningful programme opportunities and to enhance athletes’ performance.
- Experience in driving a high-performance system at least at national level. Prior experience in working with a country having a similar demographics as Singapore and in-depth understanding of the regional canoe scene would be an added advantage.
- Able to conceptualise and submit proposals, reports and programmes independently.
8. High Performance Behaviours
- Strong desire and passion to excel at whatever task at hand; seeking to achieve world-class levels of professionalism, technical delivery and quality standards.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with athletes, coaches, support staff and stakeholders.
- Ability to identify strengths/weaknesses and opportunities for improvement, constructively challenges traditional assumptions and methods.
- Actively accommodates and implements change initiatives.
- A good understanding and/or willingness to utilise technology and performance monitoring tools.
- Use appropriate techniques and communication strategies to gain acceptance of ideas and plans.
- High adaptability in customising programmes such that it will thrive in local context.
- Strong written and spoken command of the English Language.
- Able to deliver effective presentations.
- Exceptional planning and attention to details.
- Excellent relationship and management skills.
10. Hours of work
This is a full-time exclusive contract position based in Singapore. Due to the nature of the position, some evening and weekend work will be required. The successful applicant must be able to travel extensively.
Please state your expected salary in your resume.